Skip to main content

Temporarily (Dis)Abled


Can you walk from the refrigerator to the couch? Can you run (or at least attempt to run) to catch your kids? Can you climb up the stairs to your work or in your home without any difficulty? If so, then you’re likely not one of the 56.7 million functionally disabled persons in the US (also includes hearing/vision loss, dementia, mental health…etc.)

I’ve not really questioned my knowledge of disabilities. I trained in a school psychology program focused on social justice and actively take a stance on understanding forms of power, privilege, and oppression wherever they lay, including disabilities. I practice as a school psychologist, helping to identify students with special needs in our schools. Frankly, I thought I "got" it.

Just four days ago, I broke my toe (my right, big-toe, to be specific). Fractured. Painful. Swollen. I iced it and elevated it all day when it first happened, but when the swelling didn’t go down the next day, I went to an urgent care clinic, paid $45 for my visit, which included a boot. I was told to see an orthopedic surgeon, as well… just in case. That same day, I was able to call around, take a ½ sick day from work and go to an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. Two weeks in the boot, he told me. And then I would need to come for a follow-up. I wobbled around for a couple of days, painfully taking my boot off and awkwardly wearing a sandal on my right foot to drive (with the strap wedged between my second and third toes!). My husband told me to go get a disability placard so I wouldn’t have to walk so far when I park somewhere. I called my doctor’s office, and they approved it. I picked up the form, went to the county tax assessor’s office, and got my placard. Now, I’m still wobbling around, but I take ibuprofen when my foot hurts too much, and I can pretty much hang out on the couch.

I was also really concerned about gaining weight/losing muscle with a broken toe. I work out a decent amount, and worried that so much time sitting would render all my work null and void. One of the trainers at my gym put my fears to rest and promised to help me continue to train while staying off my feet.

Last night, my parents, who live nearby, brought about a week’s worth of food for Sagar and me so I could stay off my feet and heal more. At work, my coworkers offer to get me things I need so I can stay off my feet.

In the past four days, I have encountered the kindness of so many friends, family, and coworkers, to be sure. But I would be remiss if I didn’t also reflect on how lucky I am to be in this position where my family is financially solvent. My husband and I have good jobs where we earn money to live comfortably. I have affordable health insurance coverage and somewhat flexible hours, which makes it easier to take care of things like injuries when they come up. I have multiple supports in the form of people who actively try to make this ordeal a bit easier for me. I have means of getting around and, if I’m really struggling, can take an uber. My pain hasn’t been so bad that I’ve been prescribed painkillers. I’m not addicted to anything as a result of my injury.

Going one step further back: the reason I have these things is not anything I’ve had control over. I’ve been given these things by being born into a family who valued education, provided financial stability, and ensured I transitioned from childhood to adulthood with few worries. At each and every point, I’ve been lucky.

That’s privilege. Something I don’t have control over that has allowed me to accumulate these safety nets over time.

To take another vein, though, I am now suddenly aware of what it is like to lose an ability I previously had. I walk everywhere very slowly. I have to build in extra time to get places because of how long it takes me to get in and out of my car. I walk on eggshells because I’m terrified of re-injuring my toe or stubbing it against something. I notice when places don’t have elevators, or when I have to take an uncomfortable step up onto the sidewalk because there’s no graded pavement. I imagine what it would be like not to have a restroom that’s easily accessible for me, or not to have handicapped parking available. Things that have been reality for others in the past, and, in many cases, the present.

Once again, I’m incredibly lucky, and so this is not a “woe-is-me” post. This experience so far has taught me that I’ve taken my temporary-abled status for granted. I’m a fairly positive person, and this isn’t stopping me from living my life in any way. The point is, this isn’t breaking me. For others, a simple injury (or depressive episode, or loss of a loved one) could.

xoxo
Poonam



Statistics from the U.S. Census:
   About 56.7 million people — 19 percent of the population — had a disability in 2010, according to a broad definition of disability, with more than half of them reporting the disability was severe
   People in the oldest age group — 80 and older — were about eight times more likely to have a disability as those in the youngest group — younger than 15 (71 percent compared with 8 percent). The probability of having a severe disability is only one in 20 for those 15 to 24 while it is one in four for those 65 to 69.
   About 8.1 million people had difficulty seeing, including 2.0 million who were blind or unable to see.
   About 7.6 million people experienced difficulty hearing, including 1.1 million whose difficulty was severe. About 5.6 million used a hearing aid.
   Roughly 30.6 million had difficulty walking or climbing stairs, or used a wheelchair, cane, crutches or walker.
   About 19.9 million people had difficulty lifting and grasping. This includes, for instance, trouble lifting an object like a bag of groceries, or grasping a glass or a pencil.
   Difficulty with at least one activity of daily living was cited by 9.4 million noninstitutionalized adults. These activities included getting around inside the home, bathing, dressing and eating. Of these people, 5 million needed the assistance of others to perform such an activity.
   About 15.5 million adults had difficulties with one or more instrumental activities of daily living. These activities included doing housework, using the phone and preparing meals. Of these, nearly 12 million required assistance.
   Approximately 2.4 million had Alzheimer’s disease, senility or dementia.
   Being frequently depressed or anxious such that it interfered with ordinary activities was reported by 7.0 million adults.
   Adults age 21 to 64 with disabilities had median monthly earnings of $1,961 compared with $2,724 for those with no disability.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Now Brown Cow?

No one ever says brown is their favorite color- it's not bright, it's not vibrant, and it's not very beautiful. It is earthy. It is natural. It is skin, soil, butterfly wing, and death. It is, perhaps the deepest color of the earth, as well as the most elevated. How 'bout them brown apples? ~Brown~   What are you that brings sweat to men's brows as they tear you apart, reaping and forcing you to give for centuries? You thirst for the rain, sweet martyr,  while they thirst for your very last fruit. What are you that men will kill thousands of their brethren, holding you hostage along with their own brothers? You must quietly drink the blood they have spilled, weeping silently as they mar your skin with shallow mines. What are you that an exile longs to crawl back to your warm womb rather than seek riches elsewhere?  He will lower his lips in a fervor of final peace as he kisses that which can be his only home. What are you that men shamelessly use you for thei

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal Or, Everything (Nothing) is Original   There’s a self-aggrandizing belief in all of us that we are original, that we can create something original. “Original” is a little arrogance we indulge ourselves. Every quip we make, face we give, and dance we release has been done before. How many times have I said something I thought was insanely clever, only to hear it uttered by several other women in the weeks after? There is an essential egotistical quality to everything we do- as though we were the first and the last, as though we have done something groundbreaking. What a shallow snorkel into the human mind tells us is that we largely know what we have been exposed to. I am able to repeat something in a particular manner (either verbatim or slightly modified) because I have seen it or heard it before. Yet part of my human egoism is that I claim it in this moment to be mine. To be new. To be brave.   There are some, in our history, who have cont

Multiple Universes

I have a flash of memory from when I was a child where I was standing in my room looking around. I noticed the bed, the dresser, the bookshelves, and the many things that lay strewn about. I also noted the spaces in the room, the emptiness that was existed between the things. It occurred to me- quite suddenly- that there could be another universe stacked on top the one I was in. I imagined having the vision to see another Poonam busily drawing a picture on the ground, or else another family in my house altogether as I stood there and looked on. Why not? I thought. If the universe is infinite and if the divine is omnipotent, why can’t there be infinite parallel worlds stacked atop one another? Why do I presume to believe I must be able to see or sense them, and take that as the only evidence that they do or do not exist? My human form is limited. I may not be endowed with the ability, the faculty to see or understand such a limitless world. Humbly, I am an amoeba compared to this univ