Skip to main content

Borrowed Lives

Has it ever occurred to you that we're living on borrowed time? Our bones are borrowed. Our blood. Our smiles, our speech. All of these things we consider to be "I" have been lent to us for this brief life to do what we can. We can use it gently, or run it into the ground; at the end of the day, we must return it... to... [blank].

I've been obsessing over this thought lately. That none of these moments are really mine, not the laughter, not the tears, not the triumphs, not the fears. It is precious because I want to keep it all so badly, while I simultaneously know I cannot.

So I write to make sense of it all: the ugly, the beautiful, the brutal, the sweet, the confounding, the inspiring.

And here is my offering this Sunday night. As always, I would love to get feedback. Unusual for me, I wrote this as a rap, or spoken word piece. So read it with rhythm...

"Committed"
My art is so real it
drips red on the pavement
it pulls the lovers close
as they lay in the basement
it takes flight, flap and soar
to uncover what the cave meant
it slides up your thighs
despite your slick disguise
canopies fall, poles down
one thousand truths rent
threw the spear too far
illusion/reality bent
cuz the truth don't mind
if you're ill, well, or wise
it don't care if you're
desperate to stop the cries
of the baby in your arms
you created despite
not knowing what your spite
and love's all about
it don't care if you're dying
a slow death, it don't mind
it'll wait at your feet
it's got all the time
it don't matter if you fight it
with crosses and prayers
the truth is the art
that cuts through all your cares
it might let you be
if you feed it an arm
but your bloody stump
is drained
and your body's still warm
it don't care if you
sink into flowers or silk
it holds your limbs by a string
while feeding you honey and milk
don't look for answers here
because you asked the wrong question
but there's no lies in the bones
of this borrowed skeleton.
~Poonam Desai (4/9/2016)

And just for fun, a picture from NOLA a few months back.
"Peace is" (Poonam Desai, 2/11/2016)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Now Brown Cow?

No one ever says brown is their favorite color- it's not bright, it's not vibrant, and it's not very beautiful. It is earthy. It is natural. It is skin, soil, butterfly wing, and death. It is, perhaps the deepest color of the earth, as well as the most elevated. How 'bout them brown apples? ~Brown~   What are you that brings sweat to men's brows as they tear you apart, reaping and forcing you to give for centuries? You thirst for the rain, sweet martyr,  while they thirst for your very last fruit. What are you that men will kill thousands of their brethren, holding you hostage along with their own brothers? You must quietly drink the blood they have spilled, weeping silently as they mar your skin with shallow mines. What are you that an exile longs to crawl back to your warm womb rather than seek riches elsewhere?  He will lower his lips in a fervor of final peace as he kisses that which can be his only home. What are you that men shamelessly use you for thei

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal Or, Everything (Nothing) is Original   There’s a self-aggrandizing belief in all of us that we are original, that we can create something original. “Original” is a little arrogance we indulge ourselves. Every quip we make, face we give, and dance we release has been done before. How many times have I said something I thought was insanely clever, only to hear it uttered by several other women in the weeks after? There is an essential egotistical quality to everything we do- as though we were the first and the last, as though we have done something groundbreaking. What a shallow snorkel into the human mind tells us is that we largely know what we have been exposed to. I am able to repeat something in a particular manner (either verbatim or slightly modified) because I have seen it or heard it before. Yet part of my human egoism is that I claim it in this moment to be mine. To be new. To be brave.   There are some, in our history, who have cont

Multiple Universes

I have a flash of memory from when I was a child where I was standing in my room looking around. I noticed the bed, the dresser, the bookshelves, and the many things that lay strewn about. I also noted the spaces in the room, the emptiness that was existed between the things. It occurred to me- quite suddenly- that there could be another universe stacked on top the one I was in. I imagined having the vision to see another Poonam busily drawing a picture on the ground, or else another family in my house altogether as I stood there and looked on. Why not? I thought. If the universe is infinite and if the divine is omnipotent, why can’t there be infinite parallel worlds stacked atop one another? Why do I presume to believe I must be able to see or sense them, and take that as the only evidence that they do or do not exist? My human form is limited. I may not be endowed with the ability, the faculty to see or understand such a limitless world. Humbly, I am an amoeba compared to this univ