Skip to main content

Why I Dance

My secret dream: To perform spoken word in front of a large audience and move them. I haven't actually done it (yet), but a couple of years ago, when I was in Chicago, I prepared a piece to (maybe) take to the Green Mill. Here's what I wrote, here's what I still feel:

No one ever bothers to ask why we dance- isn’t that a funny thing? Humans have been dancing from the beginning of ‘sapien’ until 2015 and it is never a question of why- it just is. Babies dance from the minute they can hold themselves upright to the tune of the their momma’s favorite song. Some of them just keep going, dancing until their bones are brittle and their progeny wonders if they should help grandpa back to his chair before he breaks his hip. Oh, but grandpa don’t care. Dancing isn’t only for the young, it’s not only for the old. It’s for the “Oh! This beat is so good, that if I don’t I get my groove on right now, I will burst!” kind of people. You know who I’m talking about- the good people who tap their toes against the floor on the train, the people who sway their hips to that fantastic song in the store, the people who say “forget it!” and just start dancing in the street! It is celebration, it is triumph, and it is love. My dance teacher once said “people look their most beautiful when they dance, when they forget themselves,” and, wouldn’t you know it, dance doesn’t know the difference between African and Indian, European or South American. It only hears the beat, sounds the horn, and invites all living, breathing people to partake in its intoxicating rhythm. But, I can’t speak for grandpa, or for baby, or for the billions of people in between who dance. I can only talk about when I dance and why I dance.

Why do I dance? Was I born to dance? Did God put a little dancing microchip in my feet before He sent me down here? Do I have a brand in my armpit that says “dancer!”? …..I don’t think so. I do know that my mother watched in awe as her baby (that’s me) that just learned how to stand was bouncing to the Hindi song playing in the living room. I know the extraordinary sensation of letting go of my hands and feet and body for the first time and feeling absolute joy. I know the exquisite rush of performing a carefully practiced south Indian dance for the first time, feeling like I'm the only one in the room, and loving it. I know the thrill of twirling so fast I think I’m about to fall or become sick- the world is spinning by me one blurry-still-life at a time and it is beautiful! Oh, and I know that sweet ache of salsa music that grabs me by the hips and moves me all over town!

Why do I dance? I dance as a way to move through the world, through time and space. I dance as a way to get from Point A to Point B, and I also dance when every atom in my body is throbbing to the beat of the music because if I don’t dance this very minute, I am literally going against my nature.  I dance as a way to make sense of my hands and my fingers, my knees, and my toes, as a way to use my neck and my eyes that honors their complexity and their simplicity. I dance as a way to create: waves in the air, music from the earth, and something out of nothing. I dance as way to share my soul, my energy, my love to the world. Dance is the way I connect to that current that electrifies us all, the way I give my body a rest from trying to be human and just let it be.

I dance because life is too short for walking or standing in the periphery and clapping along. And I hope when I’m 80, I am still in the center of a crowd doing the twirling and not the clapping, feeling the music and not my cumbersome limbs. I dance now because movement is life, and when I finally do die, and they cremate my body, I hope one hundred Sufi mystics spread my dust in the desert as they dance, and the wind whispers, “she danced through life.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Now Brown Cow?

No one ever says brown is their favorite color- it's not bright, it's not vibrant, and it's not very beautiful. It is earthy. It is natural. It is skin, soil, butterfly wing, and death. It is, perhaps the deepest color of the earth, as well as the most elevated. How 'bout them brown apples? ~Brown~   What are you that brings sweat to men's brows as they tear you apart, reaping and forcing you to give for centuries? You thirst for the rain, sweet martyr,  while they thirst for your very last fruit. What are you that men will kill thousands of their brethren, holding you hostage along with their own brothers? You must quietly drink the blood they have spilled, weeping silently as they mar your skin with shallow mines. What are you that an exile longs to crawl back to your warm womb rather than seek riches elsewhere?  He will lower his lips in a fervor of final peace as he kisses that which can be his only home. What are you that men shamelessly use you for thei

Multiple Universes

I have a flash of memory from when I was a child where I was standing in my room looking around. I noticed the bed, the dresser, the bookshelves, and the many things that lay strewn about. I also noted the spaces in the room, the emptiness that was existed between the things. It occurred to me- quite suddenly- that there could be another universe stacked on top the one I was in. I imagined having the vision to see another Poonam busily drawing a picture on the ground, or else another family in my house altogether as I stood there and looked on. Why not? I thought. If the universe is infinite and if the divine is omnipotent, why can’t there be infinite parallel worlds stacked atop one another? Why do I presume to believe I must be able to see or sense them, and take that as the only evidence that they do or do not exist? My human form is limited. I may not be endowed with the ability, the faculty to see or understand such a limitless world. Humbly, I am an amoeba compared to this univ

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal Or, Everything (Nothing) is Original   There’s a self-aggrandizing belief in all of us that we are original, that we can create something original. “Original” is a little arrogance we indulge ourselves. Every quip we make, face we give, and dance we release has been done before. How many times have I said something I thought was insanely clever, only to hear it uttered by several other women in the weeks after? There is an essential egotistical quality to everything we do- as though we were the first and the last, as though we have done something groundbreaking. What a shallow snorkel into the human mind tells us is that we largely know what we have been exposed to. I am able to repeat something in a particular manner (either verbatim or slightly modified) because I have seen it or heard it before. Yet part of my human egoism is that I claim it in this moment to be mine. To be new. To be brave.   There are some, in our history, who have cont