Skip to main content

The Woods

Friends,

After an interminable time, I finally found myself in nature again. I was able to soak up as much of the wild as my body could handle- and it was the most delicious feeling. I also find myself writing here again after a too-long hiatus. Maybe writing is like my woods; maybe my creativity is inspired only by nature, and I must go back into the wild to find it again. Here, I share a writing that reflects the joy I find in the simple act of being outside:

~Finding the Woods Again~
By Poonam Desai

Yesterday, I walked through our woods,
And found our names carved into the river stones.
The pile of logs that housed our whispered conversations
Still stands home to the spiders and ants
We had long forgotten.
The pitcher we used to water our garden
Has since been reclaimed by the forest moss and vines.
Time is far slower in this grove of trees
And though we left years ago, it holds our magic yet.
Do you recall
When we played tag at the foot of the hill?
Huffing and puffing,
Not caring a whit about uphill or downhill?
Collapsing in the rough grass,
giggling and shrieking
As crickets leapt
Up around our heads in a wild
Circus of alarm.
There we traded leaves and wildflowers
Like precious stones and gems,
Eagerly pressing them between pages of
Dictionaries, accidentally harvesting
Them months later when we
Flipped our books open again in search of a new word.
There, in the woods, we counted the lines in each others’ irises,
Spelled out our names with sticks in the dirt,
And stared up at the tops of the trees,
Our necks arching back so far they hurt.
I found the enthralling sound of gravel being dusted
Off an old book, and you
Charted the hidden colors of the woods
In your father’s unused ledger.
We took food for the squirrels,
Befriended the beetles,
And learned to leave the dandelions alone-
For they were far prettier left untouched by
The breath of our wishes.
There, I stuck a sprig of honeysuckle in my hair, and you placed
a crown of weeds on your head,
We transformed into Lord and Lady of the Wild.
No past, no future
Only the fresh river mouth gurgling nearby
And the sun’s light piercing your hazel eye.
And here, now, I can feel the damp humidity of dusk,
The sting of mosquitos that sent us running home,
I can see the fireflies lighting our way
Back.


                                              (Petaluma, CA; Poonam Desai)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Now Brown Cow?

No one ever says brown is their favorite color- it's not bright, it's not vibrant, and it's not very beautiful. It is earthy. It is natural. It is skin, soil, butterfly wing, and death. It is, perhaps the deepest color of the earth, as well as the most elevated. How 'bout them brown apples? ~Brown~   What are you that brings sweat to men's brows as they tear you apart, reaping and forcing you to give for centuries? You thirst for the rain, sweet martyr,  while they thirst for your very last fruit. What are you that men will kill thousands of their brethren, holding you hostage along with their own brothers? You must quietly drink the blood they have spilled, weeping silently as they mar your skin with shallow mines. What are you that an exile longs to crawl back to your warm womb rather than seek riches elsewhere?  He will lower his lips in a fervor of final peace as he kisses that which can be his only home. What are you that men shamelessly use you for thei

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal

Originality: A Falsehood, A Goal Or, Everything (Nothing) is Original   There’s a self-aggrandizing belief in all of us that we are original, that we can create something original. “Original” is a little arrogance we indulge ourselves. Every quip we make, face we give, and dance we release has been done before. How many times have I said something I thought was insanely clever, only to hear it uttered by several other women in the weeks after? There is an essential egotistical quality to everything we do- as though we were the first and the last, as though we have done something groundbreaking. What a shallow snorkel into the human mind tells us is that we largely know what we have been exposed to. I am able to repeat something in a particular manner (either verbatim or slightly modified) because I have seen it or heard it before. Yet part of my human egoism is that I claim it in this moment to be mine. To be new. To be brave.   There are some, in our history, who have cont

Multiple Universes

I have a flash of memory from when I was a child where I was standing in my room looking around. I noticed the bed, the dresser, the bookshelves, and the many things that lay strewn about. I also noted the spaces in the room, the emptiness that was existed between the things. It occurred to me- quite suddenly- that there could be another universe stacked on top the one I was in. I imagined having the vision to see another Poonam busily drawing a picture on the ground, or else another family in my house altogether as I stood there and looked on. Why not? I thought. If the universe is infinite and if the divine is omnipotent, why can’t there be infinite parallel worlds stacked atop one another? Why do I presume to believe I must be able to see or sense them, and take that as the only evidence that they do or do not exist? My human form is limited. I may not be endowed with the ability, the faculty to see or understand such a limitless world. Humbly, I am an amoeba compared to this univ